Fort Drummond Battery was constructed in 1942 to provide protection for the harbour, steelworks and other industries at Port Kembla from enemy shipping and submarines. Two BL 9.2 inch Mk X gun emplacements with related underground facilities were constructed on the hilltop west of Coniston, Wollongong. The fortifications remained Defence property and in 1958 a 6 inch gun was added to the existing armament. S The guns were removed in 1962-1963 along with the demolition of some infrastructure. ome neighbouring land was sold to WIN TV and one of the tunnels was used to grow mushrooms. Air Force cadets used the site until 1997. Several attempts by WIN TV to subdivide their land have been opposed by cummunity action.
|Extract from R Irving. 'Twentieth Century Architecture in Wollongong' 2001|
|NSW Environment & Heritage Listing - Fort Drummond 2014|